For over 3 decades, I have worked in the field of technology. Since 2002, my primary focus has been on technology solutions for insurance carriers servicing clients for absence management. The transformation of technology, methodology, architecture and regulatory change has been an interesting, invigorating and often challenging journey.
Over the years I have experienced success, learned from failures, been mentored by and mentored remarkable, eclectic and brilliant individuals. The essence of a prosperous technological journey is based on the passion and collaboration of a diverse team and the executive leaders who manifest a clear message of support and encouragement.
Here are notes and key words from my little green book of learnings and experiences that I sometimes reference to remind me of what’s important professionally and personally:
- Ask questions
- Think strategically, move tactically
- Be agile
- Diversity of knowledge breeds innovation
- Recognition builds confidence
- Constructive feedback is a good thing
- Be a role model
- Be honest
- Take risks
- Think sideways
- The more you know the less you need
- If you’re not passionate about it, try harder. If that doesn’t work, move on and find that passion.
- Never, ever, throw anyone under the bus
- Acknowledge and de-escalate corruption
- Know your audience
- Be persistent
- Change is inevitable
Over the past 2 years I have had the opportunity to work with a diverse and talented team of analysts, architects, developers and consultants as well as insurance carriers and organizations that have provided input and feedback into what will be a next generation integrated Absence Management solution.
I continue to reference and add to my little green book of learnings and experiences as the evolution of my technology journey continues.