The Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave (DFML) has released a draft of revised Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML) regulations.
The regulations provide updates to many topics, including:
- Use of accrued paid leave and how its use impacts the MA PFML timebank;
- The definition and application of job protected leave, including leave where MA PFML benefits were not claimed;
- The process to opt into becoming a covered employer for those not otherwise covered;
- The process to qualify for an exemption due to an approved Private Plan;
- Application for benefits, including timing, notice, and employer approval;
- Calculation of benefits, including proration and offsets;
- Permitted increments of intermittent leave;
- Waiting Period, including frequency of its application;
- Employer reimbursements for payments during leave; and
- Reporting requirements.
There will be a public hearing on Thursday, June 11 from 10am-1pm ET. Read more about it and register here. Additionally, written statements may be submitted at any time online prior to June 12, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Carriers, third-party administrators, and employers should review the draft revised regulations and if the proposed revisions impact your leave administration program, we encourage you to stay tuned to the DFML website and submit comments when the upcoming web application is available.